The Pro Clima Air-Sealing System (The System) is a comprehensive approach to air sealing and moisture control. The System is not reliant on foam or other petroleum intensive, hygrophobic materials – and instead optimizes more environmentally friendly, hygroscopic, and VOC free approaches.
There are three main elements:
- A windtight/airtight, waterproof and actively vapor open exterior weather resistant barrier membrane: SOLITEX MENTO 1000 or SOLITEX MENTO Plus (or DA membrane for assenblies in hot and humid climates).
- An air tight, vapor intelligent membrane at interior: INTELLO Plus or DB+.
- And air-sealing tapes, gaskets, primers and adhesives – making sure all penetrations and material connections are durably and completely sealed.
Key characteristics include:
- Thermal bypass elimination by optimizing the insulating value of natural dense pack cellulose, mineral wool and other fibrous insulation with The System’s interior and exterior air-tight membranes.
- The System’s interior air tight and vapor intelligent membrane (pdf), Intello Plus, acts as a vapor barrier in winter (0.17 Perms), preventing wetting of the assembly; and is vapor open in the summer (13.2 Perms), allowing inward drying.
- Dense pack cellulose installations are aided by the translucent and reinforced Intello Plus construction.
- Winter drying is maximized toward the exterior with the Solitex Mento 1000 vapor open membrane (38 Perms).
- Penetrations and joints are made durable with synthetic rubber penetration gaskets, and solid acrylic adhesive tapes and primers – that allow air-tight connections to move with the building.
- The System components are VOC free.
- The importance of the air barriers are fully acknowledged and optimized. (As Joe Lstiburek was quoted as saying at BS Camp via @EnergyVanguard: “Air-sealing both sides of the wall is more important than the fluffing of the insulation in the cavity.“)
Free yourself from foam and build more robustly and sustainably with The Pro Clima Air-Sealing System.
Variations on The System are being incorporated across the US. Below are a few of our favorites:
- 475 Presentation: Foam Free High Performance Building Enclosures
- Foam-Free Wall Assembly Guidelines by Climate Zone
- Pro Clima’s membrane, tapes and adhesive performed best in the Test.de
- The service cavity – making airtight construction easy!
- Vented rainscreen: what a high performance building wants
- DA membrane – a WRB and vapor retarder (class III) for humid climates