FP Innovations, The Canadian Wood Council and 475 High Performance Building Supply are understanding research to explore opportunities for using wood fibre-based insulation production in Canadian buildings.
Technical research and data gathered over years have demonstrated the multiple benefits and excellent performance of wood fibre insulation compared to other products currently available in the market:
- Affordable product which provides an effective continuous insulation barrier to increase energy efficiency
- Environmentally-friendly material with low embodied energy and manufactured from a renewable resource
- Readily recyclable product offering vapour permeability, good performance in fire, and good acoustic properties
The product has been in use in a variety of structures throughout Europe for more than 25 years. While the market for wood fi bre insulation in Europe is both experienced and growing, there is very little used in Canada and the United States.
The project hopes to address several aspects of material use. The program will include:
- Providing limited incremental assistance, if necessary, to cover the difference between conventional insulation appropriate for the building and an equivalent solution using wood fi bre-based insulation
- Determining issues or concerns regarding code and any requirements, such as fi re certification, necessary to get projects approved
- Addressing questions typically asked by architects, engineers, builders, and owners
- Fastening and other construction details
- Educating architects, engineers, builders, code officials, and regulators
- Product performance in a variety of building types, uses and sizes.
FPInnovations, CWC, and 475 High Performance Building Supply are seeking expressions of interest from designers/ builders/owners for new projects being planned for the near future. The types of projects being sought are single-family and small multi-family residential buildings,
although other high-performance, non-residential structures may also be considered. Target market areas are the Pacifi c region, the Prairie provinces, the Southern Ontario (Toronto) region, and Quebec/Eastern Canada.
IF YOU HAVE A PROJECT YOU THINK MIGHT BE SUITABLE FOR THIS PROGRAM, AND ARE INTERESTED IN USING WOOD FIBRE–BASED INSULATION PRODUCTS, PLEASE CONTACT US.